I have a sister in law that is from Brazil. She is THE MOST AMAZING cook! Seriously, everything she makes is like heaven in my mouth! I will never turn down a meal from her. Unfortunately, she lives in Utah, so she doesn't get to feed me very often. Spencer and I have several recipes from her that we make quite frequently. Fejioada being one of them. This is one of Aniston's favorite meals! She cleans her plate every single time! It's simple and delicious. I'll be honest though, I always get nervous to make it for other people because I'm worried they won't like it, and it really isn't the best looking dish. But we have never had anyone try it and hate it.
1 bag of Black Beans (you can use canned beans if you don't wan to cook it over night)
1 horse shoe shaped Sausage
1 package of Bacon (we use turkey bacon)
1 large Cucumber
2 Roma Tomatoes
Italian Bread Crumbs
1. Place the dry beans into a crock pot. Add 6-8 cups of water (you may need to add more in the morning when you stir the beans). Add 3-4 bay leaves and shake in some garlic powder. We are totally garlic people so we probably add more than most people.
2. Cook overnight on low for 12 hours.
3. In the morning, stir beans and remove bay leaves. Add 2 tablespoons of chopped garlic. Like I said before, really you can use as much or as little as you would like. Add water if necessary. Set timer for an additional 12 hours on low.
4. Two hours before you are ready to eat, cut up sausage and cook on med heat on stove top until both sides have been browned. Add to beans.
5. Cook up entire package of bacon and add to beans as well. I usually cook mine and then use kitchen scissors to cut the bacon up. Spencer usually cuts it up and then cooks it. Either way works great!
6. Stir all together and cook in the crock pot on low for an additional 2 hours.
OPTIONAL IDEAS: You may choose to eat over rice or without. You can add breadcrumbs to the top of the fejioada and you can choose to add hot sauce as well. My husband does all 3 and LOVES it!
1. Chop up cucumbers, tomatoes and onions.
2. Combine in a bowl.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Stir well.