Who doesn't love the Olive Garden? I am a HUGE fan, and in addition to their fabulous pastas and insanely delicious bread sticks, I recently became a lover of their chicken gnocchi soup. I knew that since we don't eat at the Olive Garden often (Ani may or may not have smashed and broken multiple glass plates out of anger there), I needed to learn how to make it ASAP.
Since our summer here in Idaho has turned into a gloomy and rainy one, this was the perfect dinner for a chilly summer night.
I will warn you. This recipe is not as easy and is way more attention needy and time consuming than most of my other recipes. But it is soooooooooooo worth it!
3 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 cup White Onion, diced
1 cup Carrots, diced
1 cup Celery, diced
1 tbsp Garlic, minced
1/3 cup Flour
4 cups Chicken Broth
1 1/2 cup Half & Half
3 Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
1 package of Potato Gnocchi (this can be found in the pasta isle)
3 cups Fresh Spinach
1. In a large soup pot, combined butter and olive oil.
2. Once butter is melted add onion, carrots and celery and top with desired amount of salt and pepper.
3. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add flour, stir frequently and cook for 3 minutes.
5. Next add chicken broth and half & half.
6. Stir together well.
7. Add chicken.
8. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
9. Cook gnocchi according to directions on the package.
10. Add gnocchi to soup. Stir.
11. Add Spinach to soup.
12. Cook and stir until spinach is wilted.
This is a soup that even my 3 year old loves! It's so perfect for a cold night and the leftovers are also delicious! That says a lot because I really don't like left overs.