Monday, June 8, 2015

Monday Munchies... Healthy Nachos

My all time favorite food is nachos! Hands down! I don't know if this stems from the fact that when I was younger and we were living in Spokane, WA, my family and I would go out to try a new Mexican restaurant every Friday night to find the best chips and salsa and nachos in town. Can you say best tradition ever?

Anyway, I love nachos! Everything about them. That's what I order every time I eat Mexican food and a lot of other times I eat out. If there's nachos on a menu, I am either ordering them or if I'm not, I have had them and hated them.'

I know my nachos.

Well, long story short, I am pretty insecure about how I look and the never lost baby weight and so I'm trying to eat healthier. BIGGEST STRUGGLE FOR ME! But that's how I stumbled upon these nachos.

Replacing chips with peppers seemed insanely risky, but they were absolutely AMAZING!!!! Two thumbs up! Highly recommended! Also super super easy to make and incredibly filling. It's a winning dish all around.


SHOPPING LIST:
A bag of mini peppers or 4 peppers, any color
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 jar of your favorite salsa
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 can of low sodium black beans, or your favorite nacho beans
1 white onion
1 tomato
Green onions
1 can of olives
Cilantro
Any of your other favorite nacho toppings
Cheese - LOTS OF CHEESE

1. Make your salsa chicken. Pour the entire jar of salsa into a crock pot and stir in the packet of taco seasoning. Add chicken to mixture and cook on high for 4 hours. At hour 3 take out chicken and shred, then return the chicken to the salsa mixture and cook for the remaining hour.


2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

3. Cut up peppers into bite size pieces.



4. Chop up all veggies.



5. Cook beans.

6. Scoop salsa chicken mixture over the top of the peppers.

7. Add beans to the peppers and chicken mixture.



8. Add your veggies. Save green peppers and cilantro for topping after the nachos have been cooked.

9. Top with cheese.



10. Put in oven for about 10 minutes. I think I left mine in for about 8 minutes. Just watch the cheese.

11. Remove from oven and top with green onion and cilantro.



12. ENJOY!


Seriously, insanely delicious! Usually, I am all about the sour cream, but I avoided that this time around. I'm sure that adding some avocado, in whatever form you please, would be a fantastic addition!

No comments:

Post a Comment