Saturday, October 12, 2013

DAY 783... DIY Halloween Decor

I have decided that now that I have a child, I want holidays to be super fun and that includes decorating the house. However, I am a cheap person and don't want to spend a lot of money, so instead I spend a lot of time on Pinterest looking at crafts and figuring out how I can do them with materials I already have.

This past week I completed my October Wreath, the Bat Wall, a Candy Corn Garland, and a Halloween printable for a frame.

For our "scary" (as Ani calls it every time she walks by it) wreath I used a cheap floral wreath, gauze, ribbon, and a scary centerpiece. And of course I used my hand dandy glue gun.
Seriously I just wrapped the wreath in gauze, gluing once at the beginning and once at the end, then I pulled at the gauze to give it a torn look... you know it make it a little more scary. Then I hot glued the centerpiece using the plastic hook it came with to the back of the wreath, and then I tied some ribbon and made a bow and 10 minutes after I started I was done.

For the Bat Wall, I googled bat template and printed it off in two sizes, then I just used construction paper and cut a bunch out and attached them to the wall with sticky tack. LOVE THAT STUFF! I bent the wings out to give it more of a 3D effect. Aniston is just a wee bit obsessed with them.

For my Candy Corn Garland, I used paper plates, yellow paint, orange and white construction paper, a hole punch and black yarn. Seriously... cheapest woman ALIVE! I painted the paper plates yellow and cut out my circles to start with.
Next a glued the circles onto the plate, checking a thousand times to make sure the colors were exactly like they are on the candy. PS - I do not even like candy corn. Not one bit. Also don't be jealous of our sweet carpet in our apartment... Trust me the price and space of the places makes every negative about the place worth it!
Next I cut each plate in half, then in half again, then in half again. This let me with 8 pieces from each plate. Then I punch two holes in each candy.
Next I measured the length I wanted the garland to be and threaded the yarn through and holes and hung it up on my fireplace.
I needed to replace the picture of Spencer holding Ani since it wasn't so Halloween themed... But seriously cutest picture ever taken when she was exactly 1 week old by my sister. Check out her website here.
So I made a little printable (not sure what you even call them), using all my awesome fonts... LOVE PINTEREST... and had it printed at a local place for .12 cents. I figure that I can change it out for every holiday and that will be fun. I'm sure my skills will improve with the more I make, but seriously Microsoft Publisher is so fun and so easy to use. If I could do it over again I would definitely not use yellow. Oh well, you live and you learn right?

I love having more time to spend at home and to be crafty with my house and family! Wait until you see Miss Aniston Kate's A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E Halloween costume I am making. I promise you are gonna LOVE it!

No comments:

Post a Comment