Friday, February 21, 2014

DAY 901-906... Atlanta


I think I am finally recovered enough to blog about my trip to Atlanta. Oh my heck! What a CRAZY adventure. Pretty sure we were the last flight out of Denver to Atlanta. We seriously just sat there and waited for our flight to be cancelled since every single flight around us headed south was either delayed or cancelled, but we had a brave pilot and we made it.

Can we please talk about how it was a bad idea for me to start watching LOST the week before I got on a plane headed into bad weather where we experienced crazy turbulence? No bueno! Of course I was prepared with my usually array of awesome things to keep me entertained during my flight. I am pretty bummed that they no longer pass out peanuts or snacks during a flight, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering everything else is cutting back on their awesomeness these days. Everything and everyone except for me! (wink wink).
And yes... It is necessary to have book a real copy of your favorite book, 3 different soundtracks of the same movie, and the book on kindle.

The storm didn't hit until later that night after I had experienced some of the most insanely delicious salsa ever! I am a HUGE fan of Mexican food. I love it all!!! We walked about 2 blocks from our hotel and ate at a "modern" Mexican restaurant called Alma Cocina. They had this avocado and tomatillo salsa that blew my mind! Their steak tacos that I had were also incredibly delicious.

Actually I ate fairly well all stinking week long! 

That's probably the only thing I miss about Atlanta, the food. That and how nice and polite everyone was. I felt more welcomed and comfortable in Atlanta than I do in the Mormon bubble of Rexburg in which we live.That seems a little backwards... I won't miss the confusing menus. I mean really. Can someone please explain this to me.....


We woke up bright and early the next morning and of course the first thing I did was look out the window to check out "the storm". AKA Icemageddon. Haha!

Atlanta took full advantage of it and one of the hotel employees built this cute snowman outside! Definitely picture worthy!

Doesn't look like much to me, but the city just isn't equipped to handle this sort of weather, so that's a HUGE problem. Pretty Much Atlanta was completely shut down. 1900 people had registered for the conference I was attending and only 800 showed up. So many cancelled flights and weather related issues! Half of the presenters and half of the vendors were not even able to attend, which kind of put a damper on things because a lot of the classes I wanted to attend were cancelled.

They had a big party the first night and Chubby Checker was the special guest. Homeboy is turning 73 this year (I googled it) and he was just dirty dancing the night away. It made me a little uncomfortable watching him get his groove on. Lucky for you he came and danced right in front of me so I recorded it. Front row seats.

I learned a lot and had an interesting time, but really I missed Spencer and Aniston like crazy. I face timed with them several times a day. Pretty sure people thought I was pretty strange when I would sneak out of lunch and they passed me in the hall singing "Popcorn Popping" to my child. I don't think I ever want to be away from the two of them for that long ever again!

One good thing was since everything was shut down for several days, we didn't have much of an option as to what to do. So I choose to hit up their insanely awesome gym a couple times. I even got an employee to unlock the stairs, weird that they even have that locked, and walked up the 14 flights of stairs to my room. Just getting my fitness on!

Friday was Valentine's Day. Not a fan. Never have been. The past 9 years I had eaten Taco Bell on Valentine's Day and that's about the extent of my celebration. I was sure that this year would end my tradition and I was super bummed about it. But by this time the mall finally opened up, so we took the MARTA to the mall and their food court just happened to have a TB. It was perfect!!! Taco Bell and I celebrated our 10th V-Day together and it was AMAZING!!!! Couldn't spend it with my husband so Taco Bell is the next best thing in my book!

When I was 5 I remember we were having a BBQ at a friend's house and Superman was on TV. I remember there being an earthquake and Lois Lane was stuck in the crack of the earthquake. This terrified me! For the next 13 years I prayed every night that there would not be an earthquake. When I lived in Hawaii we had a few so my fear faded a little, but I still didn't like the idea of an earthquake. Well Icemageddon was exciting enough, V-Day night Atlanta had an earthquake. NBD except that we were on the 14th floor and had the sway going on. NOT COOL!!! My fitbit tracked my sleep the next couple nights and I got about 6 hours total.  Boo to that!

Saturday we were able to hit up the Aquarium, which would have been so much more fun with Ani and Spencer for sure and the Coca Cola museum as well as a stroll through Olympic Park. 



I had declined to eat breakfast that morning because it was donuts and I just have never liked donuts and for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to drink quite a few cups of soda at the Coca Cola museum from different countries. Bad idea! Europe has some NASTY soda! I did try every type of Fanta from every continent and I can tell you that they were all delicious! It was definitely interesting.



It was still pretty chilly on Saturday and lucky for me I happened to wear a scarf.... Basically I walked around downtown like this. Don't worry though. It was totally acceptable in Atlanta!


I am so happy to be home. I am still tired and still missing all that good food, but so happy to be home with the ones I love and in my own bed!

Sorry if you follow me on instagram and these pictures are all repeats! If you aren't following you can find me at jahlstrom3. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment