Wednesday, December 11, 2013

DAY 841... My Husband Gots Skills

Ignore the grammatical incorrectness in my title, but sometimes the words you need to use aren't always considered proper English. So my husband has this insane talent that most people don't know about. He can sculpt. In fact he can sculpt really really well. I am amazed at his artwork when he brings them home. I cannot believe that his hands are capable of something so amazing. 

Recently he sculpted a bust of his own father. His father has been diagnosed with Parkinson's. This is something that constantly plagues Spencer and he worries often about his Dad and how much longer he will be with us. On our way to Disneyland, we stopped by their apartment to give them the bust as a gift. There wasn't a dry eye in the house. It was a very emotional moment for everyone.

 Ani loves her Grandpa!
I LOVE this picture of Spencer's Dad just holding and looking at this gift. You can just see how emotional he is about receiving it.

Spencer has sculpted everything from LDS Prophets, busts, a caveman named Bart (Ani has to say hi to him every morning), masks, a nativity scene that is currently on display in Alabama, and he is currently working on a pretty sweet sculpture of Wolverine. Logan is his favorite. 
 Bart
 Prophet Joseph Smith
 Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley
Prophet Brigham Young

His mentor, Karl Quilter, who he met while in high school recently died. Quilter was responsible for the Moroni's on top of the LDS temples. Such a remarkable opportunity that Spencer had, to be able to work with such a talented sculptor. 

It is our dream to have Spencer's sculptures bought and duplicated and sold in various venues. They are definitely good enough, in my opinion of course. If anyone has any hook ups let me know! I know it can be a tricky dream to accomplish, but when I set my mind to something I usually tend to accomplish it... unless it has anything to do with weight loss and then I just fail miserably.

1 comment: