Sunday, December 14, 2014

DAY 1202... Boys vs. Girls

I am 19 days into parenting two children, and I LOVE it! It's true that I am more tired than I have ever been before in my entire life, and that I can hardly keep track of the days because they have just passed so quickly because I am so busy, too busy to eat... What?!?! But despite never eating, not showering and definitely never getting any sleep I am still loving being a mom to my two babies! All of those fears that I had about not being able to love another child as much as I love Aniston, are completely out the window! I had no idea it was possible to love multiple people so much! It's amazing!

I have noticed so many differences between having a girl and a boy. Of course the differences were obvious during pregnancy, but the differences definitely continue into real life after the baby is born. 

Boys and girls are so different!!!! Way to state the obvious right... Even though my babies are pretty cookie cutter, they couldn't be more different!


Pregnancy wise, here's how it breaks down between my girl vs. boy pregnancy and 1st vs. 2nd pregnancy...

                                            GIRL - 1st                                                            BOY - 2nd

Morning Sickness               Hyperemesis -  so sick for 9 months              Threw up 4 maybe 5 times

Heartburn                           Minimal but existent                                       Constant and awful

Weight Gain                        65 lbs                                                              34 lbs

Complications                     Hyperemesis/Home health care                     Gestational Diabetes

Membranes Stripped          3 Times                                                          3 Times

Labor Started By                Water Breaking                                              Induction

Length of Labor                  11 hours 33 minutes                                       3 hours 35 minutes

Length of Pushing               1 hour 33 minutes                                          13 minutes


After birth wise....

                                            GIRL - 1st                                                            BOY - 2nd

Days Early                            12 Days                                                           3 Days

Weight                                   7 lbs 11 oz                                                      7 lbs 10 oz

Length                                   19 inches                                                         19 1/2 inches

Jaundice                                Yes                                                                  No

Complications                       Jaundice Injury                                               None

Can we talk about how the whole circumcision aspect of having a boy is horrible! I just wanted to die for him! I was so afraid to change his diaper or hold him to hard against me, but luckily it healed super quickly and it didn't really even seem to bother him after that first day. Other differences I have noticed is when we change diapers, when it comes to Benny boy, we get peed on a whole lot more frequently than we ever did with Ani. of course when Ani peed it just got everywhere under her it didn't squirt at us like a water gun. We have learned a few tricks and Benson hasn't peed on us in at least a week, so we are learning. Aniston was a fantastic sleeper and Benson is slowly picking up on that. He is sleeping for 3 hours at a time, waking up to eat, and then going straight back to sleep. Aniston was sleeping through the night at 2 months old, so hopefully in 6 weeks Benson will be right there too.


Besides their looks, there are similarities between the two as well. Neither of my babies were/are criers. The only time Aniston cried and the only time that Benson cries is when he is hungry and we don't get him food right away. He is a very calm and content baby for the most part. They both have really strong necks. I remember being surprised at how strong Aniston was with her neck and holding her head up, but I'm pretty sure Benson is even stronger. He loves to hold his head up and lay stomach to stomach and stare at you.


Boy clothes are still really cute, but I'm missing the bows and dresses that Ani got to wear. Once he's able to not have his hands covered, this kid would scratch the heck out of his face if we didn't cover them 100% of the time, I think outfits will get a thousand times cuter. The little gloves don't stay on his hands, the socks don't stay on his hands, but onesies with the hand covers on them are golden!


Overall the transition from 1 child to 2 has been much easier than I thought. Aniston is just loving her little brother and can be a tad bit too helpful at times. Benson is thriving and doing wonderfully. At his 2 week appointment he was weighing in at 8lbs 4oz already, so eating is no problem for our little man. I think the word to describe our lives right now is blessed. We may be tired exhausted, but it just doesn't matter. This is true unconditional love.


We may or may not have more children, and people always ask what you would want, a boy or a girl. Well, now we have one of each and it doesn't matter. Obviously, pregnancy with boys is much easier, but just because I had hyperemesis with Aniston doesn't mean I will have it again with another girl. I don't feel pressure to have a boy or a girl if I have another child. Every child is different, every pregnancy is different. Every child is a blessing and we are feeling extremely blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment