Thursday, September 11, 2014

DAY 1111....Taking Time vs. Making Time

It may never seem as though there is enough time in the day... ever! Life is so busy and there truly is no one who has more time in a day than another. We are all blessed with the same 24 hours and that's that. How we organize our time and what we choose to do with our time is completely up to us. Now, once children and a husband come into the picture, in whatever order you deem fit for your life, we may begin to feel as though our time is not our own and our choices become based off another persons schedule or life.

That brings me to the title of this post, making time verse taking the time. I often feel as though I must "make" time for my husband and daughter. When I want to be doing something, it always seems as though they need to be doing something else and of course they need my assistance or companionship in doing so. I can't even imagine or comprehend making the time for this active baby boy growing inside me. But when I sat down to really think about how I spend my time I realized that there is a HUGE difference between making time for your family and making time for your family.

Taking time for your family, to me, means simply that you are involved in their daily lives and in the areas they need you to be involved in, but at the same time you aren't 100% involved completely in them or the activity. I am the first to admit, I am guilty of taking time for my family. I have gone to Spencer's sporting events, but spent the majority of time on my phone not completely involving myself in what he is currently doing, just being their physically, not mentally. Aniston has asked me to play and entertain her, but I am in the middle of working or crafting, or doing something that for whatever reason I think cannot wait and so I turn on her bubble machine, or a movie, or grab her coloring books but I do not join her or offer her companionship. Although I may be showing a smidge of support for my family by simply doing the least that I can, it's simply not enough.

We need to make time for our families. Although at times they may seem like a burden, they are a huge blessing!!! I remember seeing a saying one time that read, " please give me patience, to deal with my blessings" and this is my daily prayer. Once I start something or am in the middle of something I like to just get it done instead of putting it aside. But really, is anything so important that I can't put it off until bedtime or nap time and spend those precious moments, those moments that will not always be there with my family? I'm gonna go out in a limb and say no. Nothing is too important for family. Making that time for your family instead of taking time for them will make all the difference. Aniston won't always be little and won't always want to spend time with me, even though I am really really cool. So I need to treasure those times when she wants to color with me or play with me. Life will only get busier for Spencer and I and so right now is the time when I need to drop what I'm doing and support him in the things he enjoys doing. It's a simple way to show love to your family.

The ways I make time for Aniston are making sure I do her hair, she loves this!


It's not always the easiest thing and toddler hair is kind of tough to do, but it makes her feel beautiful and happy. I can do that. I can make the 5-10 minutes to actually do her hair and to make her feel happy and beautiful. I recently created an in home preschool area in our office, because Aniston was begging to go to school and doesn't quite understand that she just isn't old enough to go to school yet.


I make the time everyday to plan lessons and to sit down with her and help her learn. She has been LOVING it! She is just so happy to show her Daddy and anyone else who comes over her worksheets and crafts and to tell them what she learned about that day. It's a little time consuming, but it's so worth it! Spencer and I also make the time to do things that she enjoys as opposed to having her just tag along to things that we enjoy. She loves the carousel, so that's what we do for her. I can't ride it anymore because it makes me sick, but we make that 5 minutes for her so that she can be happy.



Family is so important. They can drive you crazy and get on your nerves more than anyone else, but they are your family. You love them, you want them to succeed, and there really isn't anything that you wouldn't do for them.

Spencer and I celebrated our 3 year anniversary yesterday and it's amazing what we have created in 3 years!


It's unbelievable! We have a beautiful 2 year old daughter and a little boy who will be here soon. Things haven't been perfect and it's been tough, but we find that by making the time for each other, we make it work. We are silly with each other, we laugh with each other, we make it through the arguments and disagreements and it's working. It's not perfect, but it is a constant work in progress and as long as we keep making the time for each other, than it will work.



I encourage everyone to learn to make time for your family as opposed to taking time for them. The differences and improvements you will see in your life will astound you! Everyone will be a little more happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment