Thursday, September 4, 2014

DAY 1104... Making Lemonade...but not real lemonade cause that would give me heartburn

Let's be honest. When I do not get the food I want, when I want it and where I want it I can get super grumpy. It's a major flaw of mine. Food has always changed my moods and has definitely had the ability to make me incredibly happy. I just love it. I understand that this relationship may not be the most healthy. Food has just always been there for me. It rarely lets you down. That's a good friend. Yes, I am aware that this is completely ridiculous.

One of the benefits of being pregnant is being able to eat whatever you want whenever you want right? I mean within the boundaries of what is safe for the baby of course. You get to eat more and feel less guilty, and although some all foods may give you heartburn, that's what tums are for.

I went in on Tuesday for my Glucose Test. Super fun eh? I actually don't mind the taste of the drink, although it does tend to make me queasy afterwards for a few minutes. I wasn't really worried about anything because I didn't have any issues with Ani and I have felt much better this time around, however I failed my test. By 4 stinking points. It didn't help that I have the worst veins in the world and they had to keep pricking me over and over to get my blood. Aniston thought that process was very interesting, but she gave me lots of kisses on my band aids to make everything all better.


Next week I will go in for the 3 hour test (yes, I actually asked the nurse and she said it will take the entire 3 hours), but until then my doctor has put me on a low carb/sugar diet. She didn't say I needed to cut out everything, she even said I could have soda (diet only... woof), but that I needed to cut back for the next week like crazy. Luckily I dabbled in low carb a little last summer so I have recipes that I enjoyed and I understand what needs to be done, but it should never have to be done while pregnant. I was also grateful that she was quick to remind me that this doesn't mean I'm fat or unhealthy, it's just my bodies reaction to being pregnant. I appreciated that. I didn't appreciate that I had just gone grocery shopping that morning and filled our cupboards with delicious carb packed snacks. Temptation!!!!

The past two days have been a little rough. Thank goodness I have Spencer to keep me in line and remind me that it's only for a week. It doesn't stop him from eating chips and ice cream in front of me, but he's trying. I have had the worst headache since yesterday! I'm already tired of eggs, lettuce wraps, and water. Not tired of bacon though... I could eat bacon all day long! Also drinking a gallon of water is just not awesome while you're pregnant. I didn't know that it was possible to go to the bathroom anymore than I already was! Not pleasant.

But I am doing my best to take these lemons and make lemonade. I crave lemonade! Strawberry lemonade, but that heartburn is pretty awful. Even thinking about lemonade gives me heartburn. Doesn't stop me most of the time. But I am going to see this as an opportunity to make healthier choices for myself, my family and most of all to keep baby boy safe and healthy. The past two days Aniston has loved eating healthier. She loves having eggs with mom in the morning and surprise surprise she likes lettuce! I think breakfast is the biggest change for me going from cereal cough, captain crunch, cough, to eggs and bacon. But I have felt more energized and less sluggish. Positive thoughts.

Here's to one week of not so much awesomeness leads to passing my test and an enjoyable rest of my pregnancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment