Monday, February 13, 2017

DIY... Dining Room Table


Never again...
NEVER!
I love to revamp old furniture,
and honestly I still have plans for a couple more pieces that we currently own,
but seriously...
Dining room tables,
scratch that,
dining room chairs,
are so difficult!!!
Borderline not worth it.
I definitely underestimated the amount of time and effort that this project would take.

When my parents gave Spencer and I the dining room table that they had had for 18 years,
that I grew up with,
that my boyfriends sat with my family at,
that I got grounded too many times to count at,
that I had my prom hair done at,
that my family and I quoted Boy Meets World at,
that we laughed and loved at,
that had so many AMAZING memories,
I was thrilled!

It is a beautiful table,
that is strong,
and big,
and very expensive.


It is perfect.
And they gave it to us for free!!!
Such a wonderful gift!

But there was one problem...
I hated the color of the wood.
I knew that I eventually wanted to revamp (I am using this word because I cannot for the life of me think of the word that I want to use.... if that makes sense) the table,
but I really didn't know where to start or what I really wanted.

Since I have an insane obsession with gray and white,
Spencer and I settled on a design that we both liked and went to work.

We definitely made quite a few mistakes.

1. We started during check-in week. 1 of the most busiest weeks work wise for us. I don't even know what we were thinking.
2. We started in the middle of winter, and we don't have a garage, and we live in Rexburg, Idaho. This was one of the coldest winters we have had in a long time. I mean it was -33 at one point.. No garage, plus not being able to work outside... See mistake 3. 
3. We did everything, including sanding, inside our home. Palm meet face.
4. We seriously underestimated the insanity of sanding and painting 8 chairs.

It was a lot of work!
And it basically took us 5 weeks from beginning to end.
It should never take that long. 
Chip and Joanna can remodel an entire house,
inside and out,
in that amount of time!
Rookies.

We stapled up some plastic sheets to protect the house from sawdust while sanding.
It was very dark and Dexter like.


And it honestly didn't even really work all that well.
Major fail.
So much cleaning!
Everything was basically covered in sawdust.
EVERYTHING.




We had an error in choosing the stain for the top of the table,
but we ended up finding the perfect color,
and our perfect color just happened to be on clearance!!!!
Win-win.

We finished the actual table pretty early on.
That was the easy part.
Spencer did most of that work.
He was a champ!


Then came the chairs...
Guys,
the chairs were the worst!
All of the curves in the chairs and the number of chairs...
It was really tough.
Plus,
you can't just paint chairs.
You have to prime them first.
So basically you had to paint the most difficult part like 3-4 times.
That's a lot of Netflix and a lot of time.
And let's be honest...
A lot of whining from Jenn.

Don't look to closely because we are still planning on giving everything 1 more coat,
after we move,
because things always get banged up while moving.

We also sealed the table and chairs once they were completely dry.



I LOVE the way that it turned out!
I know that in several years I will probably want to redo it again,
but for right now,
it's perfect!
Except for the fact that I'm terrified to eat at it because I don't want to ruin a thing about it.

We also decided that it was time for the entire dining room to get a face lift while we were at it.
A new rug will happen once we move.


I am obsessed with the way it turned out.
If you ask me why we did it right before moving...
I don't have an answer for that.
But we did.
And it's done.
And it's so nice to finally be sitting at the dining room table again instead of couch eating.

I have had a couple people ask about what products we used,
so here they are!
The white paint and the primer we bought from the Sherwin Williams store. 
The white is "extra white" and semi-gloss.
The best apart about it?
It cleans up so sticking good!!!!
Thank goodness for that!
Why we paint anything white,
wear anything white,
or even teach the color white when there are kids involved is beyond me.
White does not exist when you have kids.
The stain we just got from Walmart.
We used 1 coat,
wiped it off,
then put on another coat without wiping it off.
I love that we got a good coat of color,
but that you can still see the wood grain through the paint.
OBSESSED!
We had originally used the "weathered oak" color for the first stain,
it is looked exactly like what was on the table before.
Super frustrating.


Spencer picked up this sealer at Ace.
It was recommended by a friend,
and so far so good!


Also,
these little suckers were AMAZING for sanding in between the chair railings.
They were miracle workers!


We just love the way it looks and turned out!
Such a HUGE difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment