Monday, May 18, 2015

Monday Munchies... Banana Bread

If you're anything like me, when shopping at the grocery store you have a sudden desire to eat healthier, either that or your two year old insists on you buying bananas. I ALWAYS buy bananas, but I rarely ever eat them before they turn brown. I feel so wasteful every time I end up throwing the bananas away. I hate it! I don't know if it's because I cannot stand the sound of someone eating bananas (gag) or if it's because strawberries and grapes just taste so much better, but I really do throw away a lot of bananas.


Growing up my Mom use to always make banana bread, I'm pretty sure she suffered from the same banana fate as I do. So I decided to use her recipe and try to not be so wasteful and make something from my old bananas that my 2 year old will eat and loves and that is easy for the hubby to grab in the morning to eat while he heads to class. Let's be honest... who doesn't love banana bread? It's easy and delicious and amazing.

SHOPPING LIST:
Sugar - 1 cup
Butter - 1/3 cup
Eggs - 2
Water - 1/3 cup
Bananas - 3 whole
Flour - 1 2/3 cup
Baking Soda - 1 tsp.
Salt - 1/2 tsp.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Mix your sugar and your butter. I love my kitchen aid mixer! I can just leave it running and slowly add ingredients! BEST WEDDING PRESENT EVER!

Beat in your eggs.

Mash your bananas.

Add bananas and water to your sugar, butter and eggs. Mix for 30 seconds.

Stir in flour, baking soda and salt.

Mix well.

Sometimes, when I juice, I will actually take the leftovers from juicing, you know the stuff that doesn't juice, whatever it's called, and add it to the banana bread. It's a great way to get some extra fiber and even though it adds a little green coloring to your bread you can't taste a thing different! Could be a great option if you have stubborn children who don't like their veggies. They will never know the trickery of Mom or Dad in this case. My juicing leftover consist of kale, celery, cucumber, green apple, lemon and ginger.

Next I spray two bread pans (I learned that if I only use one pan it never really cooks in the middle because it's so thick) with my trusty Pam and split the batter between the two.

Bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean once stuck into the very center of the bread. 50 minutes is what works best for me, but every stove is different and every person is different so do what works for you and your family!

ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment