Wednesday, April 8, 2015

DAY 1316... See You In Two

I am feeling pretty sad and heart broken... and its 100% completely selfish.

My little brother Jake (aka Kenneth, aka Lord Kenneth, aka Kenneth Jacob, aka Elder Kinville) left for his mission (we are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) in Scotland and Ireland today. We won't see him in person for 2 whole years! A lot can happen in two years.



I know this is such a good thing for him to be doing and something he has wanted to do since he was a little boy, but that doesn't mean I will miss him any less. In his final (that sounds so absolute) Facebook post he said, "This may not be the best two years of my life, but it will be the best two years for my life." How true is that statement? I'm glad he can actually realize that. He doesn't really have unrealistic expectations for his mission.

Personally, I could never do it. I know that may make me sound weak and less devoted to my faith than others, but it's the truth! And since when do I not tell the truth? Leaving your family and friends and everything comfortable for two whole years, to have doors slammed in your face and to live and spend 24 hours with someone you have never met seems like so much to take on! I admire missionaries and anyone who have served missions because of this.


I'm not sure what was more entertaining... Aniston making farting noises while Jake was getting set apart, Benson snoring so incredibly loudly during the entire prayer, or afterwards when Ryan handed Jake a crushed Oreo that he had been holding in a clenched fist for at least 5 minutes saying, "Here, I got you an Oreo."

I know that Jake will be a GREAT missionary! He has loved Scotland since before he even left. Remember how my parents bought him land in Scotland for his 18th birthday so that he could become a Lord? I have no doubt that he will come home with such a strong testimony and an intense love for the people of the UK.

I really can't wait to watch him grow and learn, but I will miss him terribly! He is a good brother and a great uncle!




Yes, we bought him root beer and puffy Cheetos's last night since they don't have these things where he is headed. I promised that I would also bring them when we pick him up in two years!


I love you Elder Kinville! Thanks for setting such an amazing example for my children and for taking 2 years out of your life to serve others and to better the lives of people you don't even know.


No comments:

Post a Comment